Keynote and Technical Speaker Service
Thinking Driver instructors are available to speak at your event on driver safety and training.
Spencer McDonald (Founder of Thinking Driver)
A respected authority on driver behaviour, psychology and training, Mr. McDonald is the founder of Thinking Driver.
Spencer is available for conferences, safety seminars and training sessions, executive sessions and keynote addresses.
With a background in education, counseling psychology and motivation, Spencer has spent years in the road safety field. Since 1984, he has trained thousands of drivers, motorcycle riders and driving instructors including police, firefighters and emergency vehicle operators.
A specialist in program design, he has developed and delivered training for BC Hydro, Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, London Drugs, Weldwood, Alberta Pacific Forest Products, The Province of British Columbia, The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, The Alaska Police Standards Council, NANA Training Systems, ATCO Electric and many others.
He was retained in 1998 through 2001 by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia for the development of on-road license tests and for the implementation of Graduated Licensing in the province. During this time he designed training for all BC driving examiners in that jurisdiction to AAMVA standards.
Qualifications and Accreditations
- Counseling Certification from University College of the Fraser Valley (1991)
- Driving Instructor (all classes)
- Instructor Trainer (all classes)
- Driving Examiner
- Driving Examiner Trainer
- Supervising Chief Instructor for Defensive Driving
- Motorcycle Instructor and Examiner
- Airbrakes Instructor Trainer
- Emergency Vehicle Operations Trainer
- Natural Resources Canada Master Trainer certified
Spencer is a dynamic and engaging speaker and has appeared on national television and radio and has delivered addresses at numerous conferences and symposiums throughout Canada including:
- Western Conference on Safety, Vancouver 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011
- Western Transportation Expo, Penticton 2009
- Saskatchewan Injury Prevention Symposium Regina 2003
- Saskatchewan Industrial Safety Seminar Saskatoon 2003, 2010
- Canadian Association of Road Safety Professionals CMRSC XIII 2003
- Alberta Health and Safety Conference and Trade Fair Edmonton and Calgary 2004, 2005, 2009
- BC Municipal Occupational Health & Safety Conference, Whistler 2009
- Professional Development Days (various school districts and boards), 2009, 2010
- National Association of Pupil Transportation, Louisville, KY 2009
- Student Transportation News Expo, Reno, NV 2010
- Metro Vancouver, Vancouver, BC 2010
- The Vicki Gabereau Show 2003
Speaking references available.
Daniel Boyer (Retired Corporal RCMP)
Chief Instructor Dan Boyer has been with Thinking Driver since 2002. Retired from the RCMP with over 25 years of service, Dan spent the majority of his career in the Traffic Services field (Municipal Traffic, Highway and Freeway Patrol) as well as being one of the lead Police Driving Unit Instructors at the main training academy in Regina for 6 years. Prior to his retirement, Dan was the Training NCO for the Lower Mainland District Traffic Services, looking after the training needs of over 120 members.
Dan is a licensed Class one commercial vehicle driver with extensive commercial vehicle driving experience throughout the western provinces. While in the RCMP, Dan was a certified Level 1 CVSA (Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance) inspector as well as an air brake inspector and instructor. Dan was responsible for the design and maintenance of the RCMP’s Commercial Vehicle Enforcement training course and the radar and laser courses for the RCMP. During his career he was heavily involved with the trucking industry and their safety departments.
Since his retirement, Dan continues to be heavily involved in the trucking industry and enjoys designing and delivering various driving centered courses including fleet safety, load securement and logbook audits. His knowledge and experience make his a valuable asset in the design and delivery of our programs.
Dan is fluently bilingual and can deliver courses and material in French and English. Dan has been the guest speaker for several school districts and safety organizations such as the Canadian Society of Safety Engineers, The Saskatchewan Safety Council, City of Saskatoon, and countless trucking agencies and companies. Dan was also featured on the CBC Market Place and CBC Yellowknife News.
Qualifications, Licenses and Certifications
- Basic Police Defensive Driving Instructor
- Advance Driving Instructor
- Skid Car Instructor
- Thinking Driver Instructor
- Driver Evaluator/Assessment Officer
- Emergency Vehicle Operator Instructor
- Level 1 CVSA Inspector
- Air Brake Instructor
- Transport of Dangerous Goods Instructor
- Load Securement Instructor
- Licensed Class 1 Driver with experience on all types of trucks
- Washington State Certified Pilot/Escort Vehicle Operator Instructor
- COR Certified through the Saskatchewan Construction Safety Association
- WHMIS Trainer
- Certified Power Mobile Equipment Evaluator
Michael M. Glas (Retired Staff Sergeant RCMP)
Chief Instructor Mike Glas joined Thinking Driver in January 2005, after 35 years’ service with the RCMP and subsequent 2 years at the Justice Institute of BC. At the RCMP he instructed numerous training courses throughout his police career including Radar, Accident Investigation, Air Brakes, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, and Basic through Advanced Driver Training. With 22 years of traffic law enforcement on various Highway Patrols and a solid background in HR and management, Mike brings a wealth of experience to classroom and in-vehicle training programs. Based at our head office in Surrey BC, Mike delivers Thinking Driver courses to our corporate clientele throughout Western Canada.
Mike has spoken at multiple client events and has been interviewed on numerous occasions by various news agencies (including CBC, Global) on the topic of driver safety.
Qualifications, Licenses and Certifications
- Police Driving Instructor
- BC Sheriffs Service Driving Instructor
- Taxi Driver Instructor
- Thinking Driver Course Instructor
- Four Wheel Drive Instructor
- Safe Winching Instructor
- Winter Driving Instructor
- Safe Backing Instructor
- Hazard Avoidance Instructor
- Driver Evaluator
- Thinking Driver Instructor Trainer