One Half Day In-Vehicle Training With eLearning Theory
Is your Back UP over vehicle incidents and rising insurance costs?
Backing incidents account foralmost HALFof all reportable motor vehicle incidents. The good news is that backing incidents are preventable! Thinking Driver’s Safe Backing training targets this situation by teaching drivers useful principles and practices for reducing these costly backing incidents.
Safe Backing is a blended learning program with theory covered in an eLearning format and practical application conducted in small groups in a closed training area.
The video-rich eLearning theoretical content guides participants through the 7 fundamentals of avoiding and reducing backing incidents:
- Avoid Backing
- Circle Check
- Look Back
- Back Slowly
- Use a Guide
- Avoid Distractions
Drivers complete a final exam and receive a certificate upon successful completion. A downloadable manual is included in the program as an additional and valuable resource.
The practical component is a competency based course focusing on the reduction of backing incidents by developing strategies to reduce backing, and building requisite skills to back confidently and safely when required.
What your employees will learn:
Safe backing in a variety of situations
- Backing to sight side and blind side in a non-articulated vehicle*
- Backing using a guide
- Backing using mirrors
- Positioning vehicle for sight side and blind side backing
- Using mirrors to identify reference points
- Identifying pivot points
- Judging distance to rear of vehicle
- Backing through turns and close quarters
- Right angles
- Offset lanes
- Alley docks
- Complex backing manoeuvres where a series of reference points and turns may be required
- Close quarters manoeuvring in forward direction
- Identifying overhead clearances
- Understanding rear wheel off-track
We conduct Safe backing on a closed course on-siteas required (or at our location) in small groups of three (3) per half-day,training the driver in the vehicle that she/he normally drives for work to ensure relevant and effective skills transfer. A certificate of successful completion is provided.
*Backing programs for trailers, heavy trucks and articulated vehicles are also available.