For many organizations, off the shelf programs do not meet their need. We specialize in developing company and job specific training and either delivering the training using our Customer Success Team trainers or preparing in-house instructors to deliver the training using a train-the-trainer process.
Thinking Driver is able to develop programs from the most basic seminar or workshop, through comprehensive blended learning courses utilizing custom video, and computer based instruction.
Our Team Will
- Meet with your content experts and management
- Conduct a needs analysis and report results
- Design a training and delivery strategy for approval before curriculum design begins
- Design a training curriculum based on your needs including
- Legislation and compliance
- Company policy and best practices
- Vehicle and job specific content
- Develop manuals and training materials including (as specified)
- Computer based training
- Classroom sessions
- Practical sessions
- Implement the training including:
- Coordination of facilities
- Liaison with suppliers
- Training in-house instructors
- Evaluate the training program
- Transition the course to your in-house training department or continue to deliver it when required
Driver Examiner Training
Our team is experienced in road test development and implementation of all license classes, policy and manual development and driver examiner training.
Contact Us for details and to discuss your jurisdiction’s needs.
Keynote and Technical Speaker Service
Thinking Driver Instructors Are Available to Speak at Your Event on Driver Safety and Training
Spencer McDonald (Founder of Thinking Driver)
A respected authority on driver behaviour, psychology and training, Mr. McDonald is the founder of Thinking Driver.
Spencer is available for conferences, safety seminars and training sessions, executive sessions and keynote addresses.
With a background in education, counseling psychology and motivation, Spencer has spent years in the road safety field. Since 1984, he has trained thousands of drivers, motorcycle riders and driving instructors including police, firefighters and emergency vehicle operators.
A specialist in program design, he has developed and delivered training for BC Hydro, Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, London Drugs, Weldwood, Alberta Pacific Forest Products, The Province of British Columbia, The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, The Alaska Police Standards Council, NANA Training Systems, ATCO Electric and many others.
He was retained in 1998 through 2001 by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia for the development of on-road license tests and for the implementation of Graduated Licensing in the province. During this time he designed training for all BC driving examiners in that jurisdiction to AAMVA standards.
Qualifications and Accreditations
- Counseling Certification from University College of the Fraser Valley (1991)
- Driving Instructor (all classes)
- Instructor Trainer (all classes)
- Driving Examiner
- Driving Examiner Trainer
- Supervising Chief Instructor for Defensive Driving
- Motorcycle Instructor and Examiner
- Airbrakes Instructor Trainer
- Emergency Vehicle Operations Trainer
- Natural Resources Canada Master Trainer certified
Spencer is a dynamic and engaging speaker and has appeared on both national television and radio.
He has delivered addresses at numerous conferences and symposiums throughout Canada including multiple appearances at:
- Western Conference on Safety, Vancouver
- Western Transportation Expo, Penticton
- Saskatchewan Injury Prevention Symposium Regina
- Saskatchewan Industrial Safety Seminar Saskatoon
- Canadian Association of Road Safety Professionals CMRSC XIII
- Alberta Health and Safety Conference and Trade Fair Edmonton and Calgary
- BC Municipal Occupational Health & Safety Conference, Whistler
- Professional Development Days (various school districts and boards)
- National Association of Pupil Transportation, Louisville, KY
- Student Transportation News Expo, Reno, NV
- Metro Vancouver, Vancouver, BC
- The Vicki Gabereau Show
Speaking references available.